As promised, it’s time to celebrate National Heart Month and I have some healthy recipes to share! Today I present to you a quick and easy, healthy snack you can make for yourself and/or loved ones! My oldest son loves these quick little bites, I love them even more because I can get him to eat some healthy things by sneaking them into this recipe!
So here we go! And we’ve got three products that we enjoy in this recipe! We have McCann’s Irish Oatmeal, Breitsamer Honey and Hachez chocolate! Are you ready? It’s super easy to make and you’ll be enjoying a healthy snack in no time!
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes (toasted optional)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (or so, I did less) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (I used dark chocolate for this recipe)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until mixed throughly.
- Optional: Chill first in the refrigerator for half an hour, then roll into balls.
- OR roll into balls immediately after mixing. (Just a matter of preference, I have no issues rolling these before they are chilled.)
- Store in airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week.
These are quick and simple, and provide some healthy oatmeal power! When forming the balls, you can size them any which way, the ones I had rolled were about 1 inch or so in diameter. By the way, the mini Breitsamer Honey jars are just about perfect for the amount needed for this recipe and work PERFECT! Enjoy!!
The best part, as I say with any recipe, you can tweak this recipe to your own tastes and likes! I like adding the spices in to give these oatmeal bites some more pizzaz! Try them out and adjust them to your preference!